Sunday, October 11, 2009

Basil Preservation

I held out as long as I could, but the last few days of cold weather has taken its toll on our basil. Fall is officially here and I need to face the music!

Typically I just make pesto in the food processor and freeze it. Super easy. However after getting the basil cleaned and dried I realized I didn't have enough pine nuts. I decided to forge ahead anyway using salt, garlic olive oil and of course basil. (Marcella Hazan recommends adding the cheese and butter in right before using.) I spooned the mixture into a clean ice tray and popped it in the freezer. The ice tray trick is from my sister in law, Penny. It makes serving sizes which will come in handy this winter when I want to add a little summer brightness to sauces and soups.

I plan on using a bit of pesto as the filling for tonight's dinner of crespelle.

1 comment:

  1. Pesto...such a good way to save your basil! I have a love-hate relationship with that herb to say the least. Love pesto, love what basil does for bruchetta. But the chopped stuff oxidizes so quickly! Not sure if anyone has suggestions for keeping chopped basil from going black before serving it to guests?

    ReplyDelete