Tuesday, September 8, 2009

No cooking required

I’ve been remiss about posting here, partly due to end of summer doldrums and partly due to my feeling of intimidation towards my other KD partners – seemingly culinary geniuses! So in honor of the end of summer – and to highlight some of my creative non-cooking skills – this entry is all about the greatness of fresh produce…in the raw.

I love fresh salsa and have been delighted by all the beautiful tomatoes, onions, peppers and cilantro shipped my way each week. Few things are better to me than a nice chunky salsa, with chopped tomatoes, diced onion (I like a LOT of onion, both for crunch and flavor), a couple jalapeños (I generally use 1 spicy pepper for each two tomatoes used), a big handful of cilantro, some finely diced garlic and lime juice. Throw in some salt and whichever other seasonings you like and voila. Mix this concoction with some mashed avocados and some extra lime juice and you’ve got a great guacamole. Don’t like chunky salsa? Peel the tomatoes and throw everything in the food processor. If you have cabbage on hand, throw some in for added crunch. I won’t include any exact measurements here because in my opinion, salsa is all about your preference and tastes you prefer.

Salads are always a great way to use a ton of fresh veggies (check out Melissa’s post on a recent Bittman article for some great ideas) and it’s fun to get creative and use what you have on hand. As my husband and I learned recently when we were chopping up goodies for salads before realizing we didn’t have any greens on hand, purple cabbage provides a nice and beautiful bed for whatever salad veggies you’re using.

And in my opinion, few things are better than a tomato and onion sandwich on fresh white bread with a bit of mayo. Nothing tastes quite as much like summer as a fresh, sweet tomato.

No comments:

Post a Comment