Monday, July 20, 2009

It's COMING

The inevitable onslaught of zukes and summer squash. Earlier this week, NYT's Bitten blog shared some great recipes on what to do with the heap.
http://bitten.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/17/the-squash-challenge/#more-3203



I only planted one zucchini and it's already huge and bearing lots of fruit and I'm already looking through recipes lining up ideas of interesting ways to sneak it into our meals. In addition to the bisque and bread idea suggested by Bitten, my favorite ways to use zuke are sauteing slices with garlic, lemon in olive oil topping with some basil and parm and tossing with some pasta or making zucchini boats. To make the boats, cut the ends off and halve horizontally. Scoop out the middle and chop that up. Add whatever flavors you like. I usually go Mediterranean and add tomatoes, feta, pine nuts and herbs. Slip those suckers in a pan with about a half inch of water and bake @ 425 until the zukes walls are fork tender.

I'm sure the KD chicks will be posting more ideas about what do to with summer squash in the coming weeks. Speaking of chicks, I'm checking out the Tour de Coops this weekend and will share my experience and thoughts on urban farming next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment