Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Veggie that Inspired it All


Kohlrabi looks like a pod incubating an alien from Mars.

It's green, hard and has wavy bumps all over it. Doesn't necessarily screams, "Eat me! I am delish!" But it can be, trust us. Here's four ways to serve it.

My version:
Make a gratin! Everything is better covered in cheese, right? I am not very exact--I'll work on this. :-) Peel, slice and boil the kohlrabi. Make a basic roux and add some Dijon, parsley from the garden and 2 handfuls of cheddar cheese. Stir sauce and veggie together. Voila! If you are feeling fancy, spread it in a casserole dish, sprinkle cheese and breadcrumbs on top and pop it under the broiler for a few.

The world according to Erin:
Peel and slice kohlrabi
Top with salt
Insert in mouth
Chomp and enjoy.

Another idea is to add raw prepared kohlrabi to salad greens and bacon. Top with blue cheese dressing.

Heather's sneaky way:
Her main squeeze says he doesn't like it so she adds it to other root vegetables like turnips, carrots and potato and roasts in a pan.

What do YOU do with kohlrabi?

2 comments:

  1. Yum - I want to try all of the above! I'll experiement with kohlrabi in the next week and report back.

    ReplyDelete