Friday, August 21, 2009

Gettin Figgy with It


This post is about a month overdue. I've gotten wrapped up in the craziness and laziness of summer...

I don't know if it's because the window of availability is so short, but there is something so alluring about fresh figs.

I use dried figs a lot in winter stews with braised meats--I love the sweetness and depth it adds to chicken and duck--but I am not well versed at using fresh ones. I decided the fresh, delicate flavor would be best used in a desert. A search on the Internet came up mostly dry. I did find a recipe for Millefeuille (don't ask me to pronounce this...) of fresh figs and ricotta but I'm honestly not a huge fan of ricotta's texture on it's own. I mostly followed the recipe but opted to add a dollop of marscapone and cream cheese and I'm glad I did. The balsamic added a really nice finish to cut through the creaminess while also coaxing out the subtle fig flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment