Monday, August 17, 2009

Quick and Easy – Blackberry Cobbler

I’m a big fan of cooking things that are quick, easy and tasty – especially when I can incorporate fresh, local ingredients. And as a southern gal, I love few things more than a tasty cobbler made with seasonal fruit. Blackberry cobbler – using wild berries picked from my backyard – combines my southern sweet tooth with my Pacific Northwest bounty.

My friend Katrina shared this recipe with me and I have to say, it’s a winner. Definitely a rare treat with a stick of butter and a cup of sugar, but you can burn some calories before digging into this baby by hiking to find the perfect blackberries. And we all deserve treats every once in awhile!

Blackberry Cobbler

2-3 cups of fresh blackberries (I add about 1/3 cup of sugar to them a couple hours ahead of time to help extract some of the juices and counter the tartness)

Mix together:
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
2 tsp. baking powder
2/3 cup water
Put 1 stick of margarine or butter in baking dish, put dish in oven and pre-heat to 375 degrees.

Remove pan from oven and pour batter over melted butter. Pour berries (with juice) over the batter and bake (uncovered) until top is lightly brown...about 35-45 minutes.

Now if only I could find some Bluebell Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream to top on this tasty treat...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Erin - as someone who spent his childhood removing blackberry thorns from his arms, torso and legs while running around the countryside, I can say with conviction that I consider the himalayan blackberry to be an alien invader out to carve up the Earth between itself and its alien co-conspirators Kudzu and Scotchbroom. Thus, I will not consort with the enemy, even to eat him.

    Still, this sounded really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way about bamboo after battling it in our yard last summer. There is nothing lucky about that weed!

    ReplyDelete