Saturday, August 22, 2009

Price Challenge: Hollywood Farmers Market vs. New Seasons

I was at a bbq last night when a friend asked me what I was doing the rest of the weekend. I explained that our Saturday morning routine consists of waking up, taking Cass to the dog park and then off to the Farmers Market for our weekly bundle of organic goodness to which my friend commented, "Isn't the Farmers Market so much more expensive?" I paused for a second...while we are a bit cost conscious, price isn't really a main motivator for going to the market. Hmm...I decided to keep track of what I spent at the market this morning and compare it to local grocery store chain who carries mostly organic and local produce of comparable quality--New Seasons. I could have compared it to Safeway but in my mind that's like comparing a pair of Steve Maddens to Manolos.

Here's what I purchased this morning with the prices for FM/NS:

3 lb. Honeydew melon: $2/$5.50
3 Red bell peppers: $2/$4.50
3 sweet onions: $1/$3
2 bell peppers: $1 $2.50
1 head broccoli: $2/$4
1 bunch scallions: $1.50/$1
1 Italian artichoke: $1/$4
1 lb. black cod: $11/$13
2 lbs. clams: $9/$12

Total for Farmers Market: $31.50
Total for New Seasons: $49.50

Wow! I can't believe I saved $18 shopping at the Farmers Market! I'm sure there's a margin of error here but I would be surprised if it came to $20...Major score for the local guys!

So why do we believe in shopping at Farmers Markets? Lynne Rossetto Kasper sums it up best in the "Shopping Manifesto" from her must have ode to good eating, How to Eat Supper; "Supporting local, organic and sustainable growers and producers isn't solely about us and our own well-being. It's about the large view--the environment, the community, the ethical treatment of people and animals, the value of the small and unique. And it's about feeding the people you care about as best you can." Living in a place like Oregon that has been hit hard by the recession, shopping locally takes on an even greater importance. I read recently that for every dollar spent at a local market, three are pumped in the local economy. I also like having a chance to meet the farmers and knowing that we are supporting responsible farming practices that includes respect and love. Hands down organic and fresh groceries just tastes better. The fish spent last night in the ocean, the veggies didn't spend three days on a flatbed truck nor were they raised in soil pumped full of chemicals. While I didn't buy any today, our market also sells poultry and meat products all antibiotics free and free range. There is simply no comparison between the flavor of a grass feed cut of beef versus corn fed (not to even mention the quality of life for the cows). Organically raised meat is a lot more expensive, but totally worth it for many, many reasons--anybody read My Year of Meat?? Also by buying local and growing our own we are cutting down on our carbon footprint. And let's not forget about FUN. It doesn't feel like summer without our weekly trips to the market.

I'm glad that we can now add lower cost to our running list of reasons for shopping at the market!

No comments:

Post a Comment