- Crusty French sandwich rolls
- Homemade mayo
- Pickled vegetables (carrots, cucumber, onion, daikon)
- Jalapeño peppers
- chả lụa (Vietnamese Ham)
Homemade mayonnaise is a must. Separate 4 - 6 egg yolks, and mix with a tablespoon of lemon juice, a teaspoon of chopped garlic, teaspoon good vinegar (I used white wine) and salt and pepper. Use a hand mixer or a KitchenAid and slowly poor in a good oil (like Saffola or sunflower) while mixing. Add enough oil until it is the consistency you prefer. For the Bánh mì, I recommend a little more on the saucy side rather than super firm.
Slice up the jalapeño, very thin, and remove the seeds. You can peel it first if you are concerned about the heat. De-stem a few sprigs of cilantro.
I served it buffet style for our guests so everyone got to build their own! My recommendation, pile on the ingredients, you won't be sorry!
- Slice the bread, Subway style
- Spread a layer of pate on one side
- Spread a layer of mayo on the other side
- Layer the meat, pickled veggies, jalapeños and cilantro
My aunt also sent me her recipe for Squid salad, and while I haven't made it yet, I can tell you it is amazing. Plus, it is the same recipe for the pickled veggies, so you have two meals covered! She was happy to let me share it with you all:
- 1 butter lettuce, torn into bite pieces
- 1 small green mango, shredded into julienne strips
- 1 English cucumber, sliced thin
- 1 cup of daikon & carrot pickles (Boil 1 c of Japanese rice vinegar + 5 Tbsp of sugar. Let it cool then add daikon + carrot julienne strips. Can be kept in fridge up to 1 month.)
- 1 lbs of squid, blanched in boiling water
- Some peanuts, crushed
- Some cilantro + mint, minced
- 2 Tbsp of sugar
- 3 Tbsp of rice vinegar (use the one from pickled juice of daikon + carrot)
- 1/2 tsp of chili garlic sauce, or more if prefer spicier, or minced fresh chili
- 2 Tbsp of fresh lime juice
- 3 Tbsp of water
- 2 Tbsp of fish sauce, preferably "Phu Quoc" from Flying Lion brand, or "3 crabs"
If anyone else tries this out, let me know what you think!